Trump Offers Pardons To Aides Who Will Fast-Track Wall Before Election Day: Report

The president has told aides troubled by his orders not to "worry" about flouting any laws, The Washington Post reported.
LOADINGERROR LOADING

President Donald Trump reportedly told officials in his administration that he would pardon them if they had to break any laws to get hundreds of miles of his border wall built before the next presidential election, according to a report Tuesday night in The Washington Post.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pardon you,” the president has allegedly told aides worried about his instructions to seize private land through eminent domain, flout environmental rules or push through billion-dollar contracts.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the reported remarks. The Post spoke with an anonymous administration official who said Trump was merely joking when he made those statements.

The president has used his vow to have 500 miles of border wall constructed by the next election as an applause line at his campaign rallies. He reportedly has instructed aides to get the structure built at any cost.

President Donald Trump visits a section of the border barrier in Calexico, Calif., on April 5.
President Donald Trump visits a section of the border barrier in Calexico, Calif., on April 5.
Jacquelyn Martin/ASSOCIATED PRESS

But though construction has been active on the border, almost all of the money awarded to wall contracts has gone toward replacement fencing and barriers. Mark Morgan, the acting commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, said this week that 60 miles of fencing had been replaced, but he moved to cast that construction as “absolutely a new wall” in an interview with Fox News.

Axios reported this week, however, that “not a single mile of wall has been built where no barrier previously existed,” even though the Department of Homeland Security has also been touting the replacement barrier as “new.”

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled last month that Trump, who has requested about $8 billion in total for the new wall, could go forward with plans to access about $2.5 billion from the Pentagon budget to build the structure. The president declared a national emergency in February in a bid to fund it without congressional approval, saying he had the authority to redirect the money after a months-long impasse with lawmakers.

Wow! Big VICTORY on the Wall. The United States Supreme Court overturns lower court injunction, allows Southern Border Wall to proceed. Big WIN for Border Security and the Rule of Law!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 26, 2019

Hogan Gidley, a deputy White House press secretary, told the Post on Tuesday that any comments critical of the wall within the administration were merely “fabrications by people who hate the status quo.”

“President Trump is moving quicker than anyone in history to build the wall, secure the border and enact the very immigration policies the American people voted for,” Gidley said.

In response to the Post story, Trump alleged that newspaper made up the report that the president said he would pardon aides in order to “to demean and disparage” him.

Another totally Fake story in the Amazon Washington Post (lobbyist) which states that if my Aides broke the law to build the Wall (which is going up rapidly), I would give them a Pardon. This was made up by the Washington Post only in order to demean and disparage - FAKE NEWS!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 28, 2019

We Don't Work For Billionaires. We Work For You.

Big money interests are running the government — and influencing the news you read. While other outlets are retreating behind paywalls and bending the knee to political pressure, HuffPost is proud to be unbought and unfiltered. Will you help us keep it that way? You can even access our stories ad-free.

You've supported HuffPost before, and we'll be honest — we could use your help again. We won't back down from our mission of providing free, fair news during this critical moment. But we can't do it without you.

For the first time, we're offering an ad-free experience to qualifying contributors who support our fearless journalism. We hope you'll join us.

You've supported HuffPost before, and we'll be honest — we could use your help again. We won't back down from our mission of providing free, fair news during this critical moment. But we can't do it without you.

For the first time, we're offering an ad-free experience to qualifying contributors who support our fearless journalism. We hope you'll join us.

Support HuffPost

The Post reported earlier this year that Trump had directed officials to increase some security measures along the wall, despite the multimillion-dollar cost. The president reportedly told aides that he wants the barrier to be painted “flat black,” a color that would absorb heat from the sun and make the metal slats too hot for people to climb. He also told officials and engineers to make the tips of the slats pointed, a signal that climbing the barrier could cause serious injury.

Doing so on an estimated 175 miles of the wall would cost $70 million to $133 million more, the Post noted, citing internal communications.

Close

What's Hot